International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on progress made, to call for change and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.
The super-busy-multitasking-woman is a reality in the present world. She needs lot of energy to carry out the different tasks in her office as well as in her home. Women manage home by running after children, doing household chores and bringing smiles on the face of family members but they are outstanding in working environment too. Not only working women but homemakers too are nowadays quite conscious of their looks and deserve to be pampered.
Dr. Vivek Mehta, Dermatologist at Pulastya CADLE wishes you a very Happy International Women’s Day and also shares few tips to take care of skin.
The good news is there are ways to keep your skin looking healthy and slow down the visible signs of aging. Try to employ the following areas outlined as a part of your skin care program.
Don’t Forget Healthy Diet
If you are able to run away from fast food fast enough, you might be doing a huge favour to your skin. The ingredients in fast food can harm your health and your skin too. At work, keep a handful of almonds, berries or some fruits handy. You must regularly eat all kinds and colours of organic, fresh vegetables, especially green and leafy ones. Have at least one cup of two-three different kinds of berries thrice a week. Include veggie juices in your diet. These kinds of foods are bound to boost your antioxidant and nutrient levels. This will not just slow down ageing of your skin but will also keep you fit and active.
Respect the role of water in your life
We all are aware that around 70% of our body is made up of water. If you go off to bed dehydrated, all the fine lines on the face will look more pronounced. Water washes away the toxins and unwanted debris off not just our skin topically , but also internally . Optimum water intake of at least three to four litres, in one day, is essential for plumped up baby skin. Having water (avoid cold water) throughout the day can stave off mid-meal cravings and can keep you away from unwanted junk food.
Skin Care Products
Following skin care products are recommended for women –
- Glycolic acid to improve skin’s appearance and texture, reduce wrinkles and reduce hyperpigmentation from acne and sun damage
- Retinol product before bed, broad-spectrum sunscreen (preferably with antioxidants) during the day
- Alpha hydroxyl acid cleanser
- Treat your skin inside and out – Antioxidize! Kudos to you if you are eating your fill of antioxidants such as berries and other foods, and even better if you use a moisturizer packed with antioxidants. Nowadays pure vitamin-C serums are hot favorites for people looking for antiageing solutions.
- Make an effort to prevent further sun damage. Use a daily broad spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or more. Sunscreen is not for just after your shower and under your make up! If you are going outdoors for a run in the morning or evening, dropping your kids at school or heading to the gym, put sunscreen on first thing in the morning after your facial cleansing – and reapply after a shower, a sweaty workout, swimming, etc., The skin on the face is delicate and needs to be protected at all times! Sun damage leads to hyperpigmentation (think “liver spots”) and wrinkles – essentially it “ages” the skin, and that can happen rapidly.
- At home treatment: Combine 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon oatmeal and 1 tablespoon honey to make a paste. Apply to your cleansed face in a circular motion and keep on for a minute or two before rinsing. Not only do the oatmeal and honey act as moisturizers, but the yogurt, which contains lactic acid, also decreases puffiness and may even stimulate collagen production
Skin Care Procedures to defy Gravity
If you start to notice a loss of facial volume, resulting in the formation of laugh lines and parentheses around the mouth, we recommend the following procedures to prevent wrinkles and loss of facial volume:
- Injectable synthetic dermal filler, such as Restylane, which requires no down time or surgery
- Fat-grafting procedures to volumize and lift the face to maintain a youthful look
- Botox injections to control and prevent wrinkle formation
- Light laser resurfacing to treat damage and prevent age-related changes
- Photo facials- breaks down minimal discoloration and broken capillaries while stimulating collagen
- Get exfoliated! By a professional. Exfoliating face wash works to a certain degree, but not as significantly as a professional exfoliation-microdermabrasion, chemical peeling. Chemical Peels come in different varieties (light, medium, or deep) to address different skin issues such as hyperpigmentation and sun damage. Peels offer great results with a minimal amount of down time.
- Laser Toning to take away pigmentation and rejuvenate your face